Thursday, September 18, 2014

Well, which is it? "Aye!" or "Ach, Nay!"

Oh, would you look at that! I have a blog here... what do you know?

...

Seriously though, I need to be better about posting here. Now that the summer is winding down and fall is showing its gorgeous, auburn head, things ought to fall back into smooth routine (I.E: Boring same ol'...) and I'll have to resort to writing blurbs and blocky rants to ease the monotony of study and work.

Tonight I feel wound up. Not in the way I feel when I've had too much caffeine in one sitting, and not like when I'm waiting for some book to be available for me at the library. It's an odd twist in the pit of my stomach, a feeling of helplessness, a pinch of pride, and a lot of thoughtfulness.

An incredibly important vote is being tallied tonight over in the United Kingdom. Scotland has put a very weighty matter in the hands of its citizens. Should they become a self governed nation, independent of England and the rest of the ol' UK? Or should they remain as they are, a piece of a larger whole? Scotland has decided its people's voices should decide this weighty matter.

97% of Scotland's citizens have registered to vote on this decision. Today, Thursday the 18th of September, registered voters sixteen years and older answered simply with a "Yes" or a "No". And tonight, those very affirmations and denials are to be counted.

The fate of the nation is really in the peoples' hands. And I couldn't be more proud! Such a weighty matter truly deserved to be put to the people. Those who live and work and grow up in the country should choose its fate.

I'm excited to see the outcome. I don't know when the media will leak the numbers, but I assume I won't know for sure until sometime tomorrow morning. Still, I'm caught up in the anticipation. Social media is bursting with weary Scots, forcing themselves to stay awake long enough to hear the conclusion of the vote. I wait with them, miles away, but just as antsy to hear the results.

As I glance around my room and spy all the Scottish flags, on my wall, my desk, even on the shirt I'm wearing... I wonder. I wonder if I was a Scottish citizen, what would I vote for? The anticipation is killing me. I wish they'd just announce the final tally already!


So if you'll excuse me, I'll just keep biting my fingernails 'till they bleed while I listen to Scottish punk rock. Later I think I'll turn on Stone of Destiny... it's only appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment